Sunday, November 8, 2009

Can You Hear The Silence?

I had no expectations of a 5-day silent retreat, and no prior knowledge of Adyashanti. I didn’t even Google him before heading up to Omega. All I knew is that I craved the silence, and anything on top of that was gravy!

I met my roommate as I was walking to our cabin (when we could still speak). We introduced ourselves and felt a connection. As the week wore on, I realized how in sync we were. After a talkative dinner in the dining room, we headed to the opening session. From the start, Adya (as we came to call him) was open, honest, humble and had a great sense of humor. He spoke that first evening—no questions—and from that point on, the campus was in silence.

It wasn’t hard for me to be quiet. I found myself thinking, crying, writing in my journal and just being in the beauty at Omega. We were encouraged not to read or do things that would distract us from being with the silence. We had 2 satsangs (teaching sessions) with Adya every day, and the afternoon from 2-5pm was spent in 40-minute meditations with 30 minute breaks. I had never meditated so much, but found it easier when in a group. I didn’t understand everything that was discussed by Adya or the other participants, but it didn’t matter because we were all there with a common purpose, and I was there to learn and just experience what was going on.

It was easier to go later to meals and eat by myself than to be with a table full of people and not speak. I even avoided eye contact after an initial nod of the head when sitting down. Couples and good friends seemed to have the hardest time not speaking, and as the week wore on, the temptation became too great. At meals or on the grounds, it was not unusual to see some whispering, but we were regularly encouraged to keep the silence and go deeper.

I found myself taking a hike in the woods after the morning session and before lunch. Towards the end of the week, I wandered into the bookstore to look at Adya’s books as well as other offerings. But I also made my way up to the Sanctuary, a beautiful meditation space and koi pond. Sitting in the gardens around the campus, looking at the beautiful flowers and foliage, contributed to the sacredness of the experience.

When I got home, I started a meditation practice: at least 10 minutes a day. I’ve been pretty good about keeping it up. I hear that Adya is coming back next year for a 7-day silent retreat. There’s a good chance I’ll be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment